January Secret Subject Swap - New Year's Resolutions

Welcome to January's Secret Subject Swap. Again 10 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts.

Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts.  

Sit back, grab a mug (unless you've made a resolution to cut back on caffeine, which I didn't) and check them all out:





Baking In A Tornado
Never Ever Give Up Hope
Cognitive Script
The Lieber Family
Part-Time Working Hockey Mom
                                                                                                                                                                                          
My subject is 

             
Do you make New Year's resolutions?  If so, do you keep them?

It was submitted by Never Ever Give Up Hope thank you, Carol! 


I usually don't, but last year I did. 

I wrote about my 2017 goals (I like the term "goal" better than "resolution". Goal is more of a commitment than resolution. Resolution has this  touch of "I really should, but let's be honest, it's too hard, and I'll drop it around January 5.")

And because for once I was serious, I checked in after 100 days, and things weren't looking half bad. Even now that 2017 is over, I'm happy to say that I did more than OK. 

Of course I kind of fell off the calories counting wagon during and after our vacation, and as we got back, the Holiday season started, so that was OK. Also the scale died on me, and I told myself not to worry about it, I'll get a new one in January, haha! Note to self: must go scale shopping?!?!

I'll get into tips on how to actually succeed at keeping your resolutions in my Blog with Friends post on Monday, so why don't you make a resolution to check back here after the weekend!






What I'd like to do today is to take a break from the typical, tough, long-term resolutions like quit smoking, take up running, lose 20 pounds, etc and explore some fun, creative as well as c'mon it's time to address it resolutions!

  1. Drink coffee every day - there, you've accomplished something already today! Feels good, doesn't it?
  2. Reconnect with an old friend or three. No time like the present. Pick up the phone or send a text to wish a happy new year and make plans for coffee. Or wine, by all means.
  3. Try a new recipe, something that kept popping up in videos, but you never actually got around to making. It's January, so maybe something clean and healthy like a Buddha Bowl?
  4. Learn a new skill, something you've always wanted to do. Is it crocheting? Surfing? Parallel parking? Go for it!
  5. Research a charity you'd like to contribute to this year, be it by being actively giving your blood, sweat and tears or a good old generous check. 
  6. Forgive somebody - it may be yourself or somebody who did wrong by you. Let it go and move on, life is too short! Write whatever it is that has been bothering you on a piece of paper, go outside, maybe you have a power place at the lake or in the forest and burn it! There, gone!
  7. Put an organ donor card in your wallet - you won't be needing them anymore, but somebody else, several people even, might depend on them.
  8. Create a living will and advance directives to make sure the things that are important to you will be respected.
  9. Out with the old, in with the new: purge the area in your house that most needs it, is it  clothes, books, mugs, just general clutter? Going forward, pledge to let go two items for every new one that enters the house.
  10. Ask for help. If you're anything like me you feel like you have to do it all by yourself - sometimes it's just more fun to tackle things together, or there are areas that other people get done more easily than you - let them do it!

If you like what you're reading here, or if you think it's still too hard, check out yesterday's Top ten (silly) things to do in 2018 (sneak peak: one of them is building a blanket fort) - they are waiting for you to tackle them! 

In the meantime don't forget this one:



If that's at all possible - because I think you were pretty darn awesome in 2017! 

And because you're so incredibly fabulous, I know you'll visit my fellow bloggers using the links at the beginning of this post!


Comments